GET.com's Review of Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer
|Highlights||Credit Card Feature|
|Things We Like||0% intro APR on balance transfers for 18 months|
|Our Least Favorite||Cash rewards expire|
|Our Verdict||Great card to earn 2% cash back on purchases|
- Earn 2% cash back on purchases: 1% when you buy plus 1% as you pay
- Balance Transfers do not earn cash back
- 0% Intro APR on Balance Transfers for 18 months. After that, the variable APR will be 15.74% - 25.74% based on your creditworthiness*
- Click 'Apply Now' to see the applicable balance transfer fee and how making a balance transfer impacts interest on purchases
- No categories to track, no caps on cash back, no annual fee*
- Intro APR
0% Intro APR on Balance Transfers for 18 months*
- Annual Fee
- Regular APR
15.74% - 25.74%* (Variable)
- Credit Required
Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer, a partner card, is a cash back credit card that rewards you with cash back on all your purchases! With this card, you earn cash back when making your purchases, and also when paying off your balance for those purchases. This helps you rack up cash back twice as fast, since you'll be earning extra cash back just for paying off your purchases (as long as you pay the minimum payment due that is specified on your billing statement).
But cash back isn't the only benefit this card offers to shoppers. In this Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer review, I'll share with you all the benefits this Mastercard will offer you, and tell you how Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer compares to other cash back credit cards in the US now.
Things We Like About Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer
No annual fee. This card has no annual fee whatsoever.
Earn 2% cash back on purchases, 1% when making your purchase and 1% when paying it off. Citi has come up with a pretty interesting concept for earning cash back, which doesn't only help you save with cash back on purchases, but also encourages you to make your credit card payments by the due date each month:
You earn 1% cash back when you buy. When your eligible purchases are added to your month's billing statement you'll receive 1% cash back. The amount you spend on purchases will be added to your "Purchase Tracker", which tracks the balance you still have to pay off, and thus, the balance you can earn additional rewards on.
You earn an additional 1% as you pay for those purchases. Every time you pay at least your minimum payment due, you'll earn 1% cash back on the balance you pay off. If you pay your credit card bill in full and on time every month, you will pretty much be earning 2% cash back on all the purchases you charge to this card.
Redeem your cash back for gift cards, checks, or statement credit. With these three options, you can decide how you want to redeem your cash back. Many other cards only give you one option for redeeming cash back, usually as a statement credit. This card lets you redeem it for checks or gift cards as well, so you can use your cash back in the ay that works best for you. You must have at least $25 accumulated in cash back before you can redeem it.
No cap on the cash back you can earn. Some credit cards place a cap on the cash back you can earn to avoid big spenders getting too well rewarded. But this card doesn't have any caps on cash back, so you earn the cash back you deserve.
No enrollment in rotating categories and no category restrictions. This card has no cumbersome rotating categories. That makes this a good card for two types of spenders. If you prefer not to fuss with using several different cash back credit cards to buy different things, then this card could work well for you as it lets you earn good cash back on all purchases you charge to it. Even if you have a cash back card that gives you 3% or 5% cash back for certain categories of purchases, this card makes a good backup for all the rest of your spending that doesn't fall into those categories.
Enjoy 0% intro APR for 18 months on balance transfers. This card will work well for you if you need to transfer a balance from another credit card to escape interest payments for a time. The 0% intro APR for 18 months on balance transfers is much longer than what most cards offer. After that introductory low APR period, the 15.74% - 25.74%* variable APR (depending on your creditworthiness) will apply. Click 'Apply Now' to see the applicable balance transfer fee and how making a balance transfer impacts interest on purchases.
Citi® Price Rewind is one of the most useful perks you get with this card. Whenever you buy something and pay with this card, you can submit the purchase to Citi Price Rewind, which will track prices on the identical item you purchased for the next 60 days. Citi Price Rewind tracks prices at hundreds of online merchants. If it finds a lower price on stuff you bought, you can get a refund for the price difference. This refund can be as much as $300 per item. the total amount of refunds you can get every year is $1,200. Here's what you need to do to use this service to get more for your money:
- When you make any purchase and pay for it with this card, make sure to keep the receipt.
- Log into Citi Price Rewind and use the search to find the item you bought anytime within the last 60 days in the database.
- Select the item that you would like Citi Price Rewind to track and enter the purchase details from your receipt.
- Submit the information to get the tracking process started. If a retailer offers a lower price on the item you bought (clothes, phones, gadgets, appliances and more) within 60 days from the time you made the purchase, Citi Price Rewind will notify you and you can request a refund for the difference between the price you paid and the price on offer.
You get complimentary travel insurance. If you use this card to pay for your flights and other travel bookings, you get complimentary travel insurance automatically. Here's a summary of the coverage you enjoy:
- Trip cancellation and interruption protection. This is a very useful travel benefit because unforeseen events can easily get in the way of your trip If they do, you may be reimbursed (up to $1,500 per rolling year) for non-refundable trip expenses, like change fees.
- Worldwide travel accident insurance. If you killed or permanently dismembered in a tragic accident while traveling on a common carrier, you or your loved ones may receive up to $250,000 in compensation.
- Worldwide car rental insurance. This coverage protects cars you rent anywhere in the world against theft or damage, up to $50,000. You will have to pay with your Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer and decline the rental company's collision loss/damage insurance. This coverage is secondary, above coverage provided by your other insurance policies (auto insurance, homeowner's insurance, etc.).
Emergency card replacement. Citi calls this the Lost Wallet® Service, and what it means is that if you lose your card, Citi will normally replace it within 24 hours. Many banks do that. But Citi can also provide you with emergency cash if you need it, subject to your available cash advance limit.
Our Least Favorite Things About Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer
You have a 5% of each cash advance; $10 minimum. So if you use this card to get cash at ATMs you will end up paying some pretty hefty fees. That said, most good cash back credit cards have similar fees and using a credit card to get cash is never a good idea (that's what debit cards are for). However, if you need a credit card that you can use to get cash without paying an arm and a leg, check out Barclaycard Ring® Mastercard® which has a much lower fee of $3 for each cash advance (See Rates & Fees).
You need $25 cash back accumulated to be able to redeem it. You won't be able to redeem your cash back until you've accumulated at least $25 cash back rewards. If some disaster hits and you desperately need to redeem your cashback, you won't be able to unless you have collected at least $25 cash back. But for most of us, collecting $25 before redeeming it won't be a big problem.
Your cash rewards expire if you don't earn cash back from purchases or payments in 12 months. If you want to keep the cash back you earn, you need to make sure you're either making purchases or payments with your card at least once a year. So if you plan to stash this card away at home for a year or more, make sure to redeem your cash back first.
How Other Cards Compare With Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer
|Intro APR:||0% Intro APR on Balance Transfers for 18 months*|
|Regular APR:||15.74% - 25.74%* (Variable)|
|Credit Required:||Excellent, Good|
|Intro APR:||0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers|
|Regular APR:||17.24% - 25.99% Variable|
Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer rewards you with a lot of cash back on all purchases, and could work well for you especially if you pay off your credit card balance in full by the due date each month.
Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer is, in my opinion, a good card to get if you want a simple way to earn rewards without the hassle of rotating categories and enrollment. When making purchases with this card, you'll receive 1% cash back and when making payments to pay off your balance you'll earn another 1% cash back.
I recommend this card for those of you who simply want to earn cash back, and who pay off your balance on time, as that way you'll earn the most rewards. If you need that extra bit of motivation to pay your credit card bills on time, then the cash back you earn when you pay for your purchases might just be a good motivator.
See more Citi credit cards.