Citi ThankYou® Premier Card, a partner card, is an attractive credit card option for average to large spenders looking for a fast way to earn award travel. It lets you earn 30,000 bonus ThankYou® Points after making $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of being a cardholder. These 30,000 points can be redeemed for up to $375 for airfare, up to $300 in gift cards, or other great rewards. The annual fee is waived for the first 12 months, so you get Visa Signature benefits without paying an annual fee during your first year of having this card. After that, you will pay an annual fee of $95.
But probably the most outstanding benefit this card offers is the option of transferring your ThankYou® Points to a number of major frequent travel programs at a 1:1 conversion rate. That means the points you earn when you use this card are equivalent to the actual frequent flyer miles or hotel points offered by partner programs. This card also has solid travel benefits, which add to its attraction for frequent travelers.
If you're an average to large spender and would like to earn rewards that can be redeemed for either merchandise, travel, or cash, then Citi ThankYou® Premier Card may be a good card for you.
|Credit Card||Features||Intro APR||Regular APR||Annual Fee||Why we like it||We least like||t_cc_credit_required||Related links|
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
15.24% - 24.24% (Variable)
$95, waived for first 12 months*
Why we like it
We least like
|Related Links Read our review of Citi ThankYou® Premier Card or view more details of Citi ThankYou® Premier Card . See more Citi credit cards.|
Things We Like About Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Earn 30,000 bonus points by spending $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months of account opening. These 30,000 points can be redeemed for up to $300 in gift cards at leading merchants, up to $375 in airline tickets and other rewards.
- Earn 3X ThankYou points on travel and 2x ThankYou points on entertainment and dining. With this card, you earn 3 ThankYou points per $1 spent on travel which also includes gas purchases. So just filling your tank will help you earn rewards quickly. You earn 2 ThankYou points per $1 spent on entertainment and dining purchases, which include concerts, movies, restaurant purchases and more.
- Earn 1X ThankYou point per $1 on other purchases. You will earn 1 ThankYou point per dollar for other purchases made with this card.
- Transfer your ThankYou® Points to frequent travel programs. You can transfer your available and qualifying ThankYou Points to participating travel loyalty programs which you are enrolled in. Most other Citi cards that let you earn ThankYou Points don't have this option. Probably the most attractive partner program is the Hilton Honors rewards program. You can get 1,500 Hilton Honors™ Bonus Points for every 1,000 ThankYou Points you transfer.
- Many of the frequent travel partners are foreign airline programs that will appeal to you if you travel outside of the U.S. at least occasionally. Here are the programs you can transfer points to:
- Hilton Honors Worldwide. Get 1,500 Honors Bonus Points for every 1,000 ThankYou Points you convert.
- Asia Miles. You get 1,000 Asia Miles for every 1,000 ThankYou Points you transfer to this leading Asian frequent flyer program.
- EVA Air Infinity MileageLands. You get 1,000 Infinity MileageLands Miles for every 1,000 ThankYou Points you transfer.
- Etihad Guest. Every 1,000 ThankYou Points you transfer gives you 1,000 Guest Miles.
- Flying Blue. Enjoy 1,000 Flying Blue Award Miles for each 1,000 ThankYou Points transferred. This frequent flyer program is used by Air France and KLM.
- Garuda Indonesia Frequent Flyer. Get 1000 GFF Miles per 1,000 ThankYou Points.
- Malaysia Airlines Enrich. Get 1000 Enrich Miles per 1,000 ThankYou Points your transfer.
- Qantas Frequent Flyer. 1,000 ThankYou Points transfers to 1,000 Qantas Points.
- Qatar Airways Privilege Club. Get 1,000 Qmiles for every 1,000 ThankYou Points.
- Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer. Each 1,000 ThankYou Points transferred converts to 1,000 KrisFlyer Miles.
- Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus. You get 1,000 Royal Orchid Plus Miles for each 1,000 ThankYou Points transferred.
- Virgin Atlantic Flying Club. Get 1,000 Flying Club Miles for every 1,000 ThankYou Points you transfer.
- Virgin America Elevate®. Get 500 Elevate points per 1,000 ThankYou Points.
- Earn unlimited ThankYou® Points and points do not expire. As long as your account is open and current you will be able to earn unlimited points that will not expire.
- $95 annual fee which is waived for the first 12 months means that you won't pay the yearly fee for the first 12 months of card ownership. After the first year, you will pay an annual fee of $95.
- Flexible ThankYou Points redemption. This rewards system from Citi lets you redeem points earned for gift cards, merchandise, travel, experiences and more. One nice thing about this rewards program is that you can also redeem points for cash (as $50 or $100 checks) or for statement credit to help lower your balance. You can also pool rewards with friends and family or share rewards with any ThankYou member. You can also use your points to donate to select charities by creating a PointWorthy login and linking your ThankYou account to PointWorthy.com.
- $0 Liability for unauthorized purchases. With this card you get $0 Liability on unauthorized charges, which protects your assets if your card is used to make fraudulent purchases.
- Shopping benefits that come with this card include Retail Purchase Protection and a neat feature called Citi® Price Rewind which tracks price changes within 30 days of your making a purchase with this card and refunds you up to $250 per item (total $1,000 per year) if the online price of something you buy lowers by at least $25. You also get an extended warranty of up to one year on eligible items that you pay for with your card. Terms and conditions apply.
- Automatic Travel Accident Insurance covers you, your spouse and eligible children when you charge the full cost of the travel charges to this card. You get this Common Carrier Travel Accident Insurance coverage automatically at no extra charge.
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases. When you use your card while traveling or shopping online outside of the US, you won't be charged an additional foreign transaction fee. Some other credit cards charge a fee of up to 5% of the transaction when you use your card abroad, so this is an extra benefit for travelers.
- Additional travel benefits include secondary trip cancellation and trip interruption coverage that will cover charges or loss (up to $1,500) that isn't covered by your primary insurer. You also get lost luggage coverage of up to $3,000 for you and your family when you travel on a common carrier and charge the entire fare of the trip to this card. You also get secondary auto rental insurance, which will cover costs that are not covered by your primary insurer. Terms and conditions apply.
- Travel with ease and enjoy chip based technology which makes it possible for you to use this Visa Signature card almost anywhere in the world. It is also much safer than magnetic stripe cards since chip cards are more difficult to counterfeit.
- Citi® Private Pass® gives you preferred access to purchase tickets to great experiences, including concerts and sporting events.
Our Least Favorite Things About Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- No introductory APR, then 15.24% - 24.24% variable APR on purchases and balance transfers, based on your creditworthiness. I would avoid using this card for balance transfers or for making big-ticket item purchases if you plan to pay them back over time because you'll have to pay this interest right from the beginning of card membership. Keep in mind that you can avoid paying interest altogether by making your payments in full before the due date each month.
- Penalty APR If you miss a payment, your APR may be raised to a 29.99%. If you prefer a credit card with no penalty rate, you should take a look at Citi Simplicity® Card - No Late Fees Ever.
How Other Cards Compare With Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
|Regular APR:||15.24% - 24.24% (Variable)|
|Annual Fee:||$95, waived for first 12 months*|
|Regular APR:||16.74% - 23.74% Variable|
|Annual Fee:||Introductory Annual Fee of $0 the first year, then $95|
|Intro APR:||0% Introductory APR for 12 billing cycles for purchases|
|Regular APR:||15.74% - 23.74% Variable APR|
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card rewards you well for most travel-related purchases and dining and entertainment purchases. It gives you a 1:1 point transfer rate to participating frequent travel programs, no foreign transaction fee, solid shopping benefits and comprehensive travel insurance coverage. The ThankYou rewards program gives you a lot of options when you redeem rewards.
The card comes with solid travel and purchase benefits, and a good rewards program. This card will appeal primarily to larger spenders, as the high amount of points you can earn with this card can easily cover the $95 annual fee which is waived for the first 12 months. If you travel a lot, the strong travel benefits that come with this card and the 1:1 conversion to frequent travel programs could benefit you in a big way. Even if you only use this card for shopping, the good shopping benefits may make this card worth the cost. The ThankYou® rewards program gives you a lot of flexibility when redeeming your points, so even if you don't travel much this could still be a good rewards credit card for you.
I was disappointed to see that this card doesn't offer any low APR introductory period, and the standard variable APR is not particularly low (15.24% - 24.24% variable APR on purchases and balance transfers). I wouldn't recommend this card if you have a balance to transfer, or if you want to make a large purchase that you plan to pay off over time. If you don't carry a balance and would like to earn flexible rewards on regular spending like gas and dining out, then this Citi ThankYou® Premier Card is a good choice.
Ivan Daniel is a writer at GET.com. Email: email@example.com.Editorial Disclosure: Any personal views and opinions expressed by the author in this article are the author's own and do not necessarily reflect the viewpoint of GET.com. The editorial content on this page is not provided by any of the companies mentioned, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Opinions expressed here are author's alone, not those of the companies mentioned, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
At GET.com it's all about your saving and getting experience. There's nothing more helpful for all of us Getters than a true life experience, a tip or a trick relating to a reviewed product. Read more about comments.